After a stunning scenic drive from our office with a 4WD minibus over Akaroa extinct volcano crater rim, you will discover the tranquil beauty of Pohatu bay.
Once in the bay, you will set off for a walk and talk around the colony to monitor nesting sites and make sure that our Little Penguins are doing well. You will be able to see them up close and learn about their behaviours and how our 30+ years of conservation efforts have saved the Flea Bay colony from extinction.
Then, you will have the opportunity to spot the penguins undisturbed from our hides, socialising on the water with our binoculars and our telescope and at dusk a very high likelihood of some returning to shore. We depart before it gets too dark and leave the penguins to do their thing without us in their way.
From December to February we sometimes have penguins in care and you may have the chance to see some of our caring work such as supplemental feedings and releases.
- Respect the environment - You will be out in nature for this experience so please help protect our environment by taking all your rubbish with you.
- Be considerate of others - You’ll be part of a group, so it’s important to be kind and courteous.
- Be patient - You'll be working as part of a group, so make sure to be patient and wait your turn - we like to be fair and give everyone a go.
- Make new friends - This is a group experience so go along prepared to start conversations and make some new friends :-)
- A chance to relax - This experience is one way Kiwis like to relax and enjoy life so it will seem very relaxed. Have fun, enjoy slowing down (away from work or study) and relax!
- Be on time - While the experience will be a relaxed one, make sure you allow yourself plenty of time to arrive early so you don't keep your guides and others waiting.
- Don't be shy - Kiwis are very friendly, open people so this experience is a great opportunity to not be shy, smile lots and make some new friends.
- Tipping is optional - Tipping in cafes and restaurants isn't common in NZ, but if you receive exceptional service, feel free to compliment the staff (and of course tip them if you would like to).