Pohatu is a 1000-acre property with 40% dedicated by the landowners to regenerate the native forests into what would have existed before human arrival.
Regeneration of our native trees will provide food and nesting habitat for our native birds, sequester carbon and stabilize the land.
Forests can be left to naturally regenerate but some species need a bit more of a helping hand, we plant trees beneficial to Banks peninsula’s unique birds and insects.
Pohatu has the vision to become a mini-Zealandia but still be a productive working sheep farm, having a balance with nature and our livelihoods. You can help us accomplish this by planting trees in our new covenant: Mable Hope bush.
• Transportation from Akaroa to Flea Bay by 4WD mini buses with one of our experienced guides
• Commentary about natural and human history along the way, photo-stops
• Tools to plant trees
• Hot drinks
- Respect the environment - You will be out in nature for this experience so please help protect our environment by taking all your rubbish with you.
- Be considerate of others - You’ll be part of a group, so it’s important to be kind and courteous.
- Make new friends - This is a group experience so go along prepared to start conversations and make some new friends :-)
- Wear your old clothes - This is a hands on experience where it's okay to dress casually, as your clothes may get a bit dirty while you're having fun!
- Be a respectful visitor - You will be a guest during this experience, so please be respectful. Two important Māori customs are to take your shoes off indoors and avoid sitting on tables or pillows.
- Be on time - While the experience will be a relaxed one, make sure you allow yourself plenty of time to arrive early so you don't keep your guides and others waiting.
- Don't be shy - Kiwis are very friendly, open people so this experience is a great opportunity to not be shy, smile lots and make some new friends.
- Outdoor eating - You can expect to be eating in the outdoors, which means finding a spot on the ground to sit and enjoy your meal - make the most of this ‘el fresco’ experience!