The R Tucker Thompson is a traditional gaff-rigged schooner. Enjoy the majesty of tall ship sailing in the Bay of Islands. With the wind behind us, this is one of the most environmentally friendly way to see the Bay; you can be sure your carbon footprint is minimal.
Learn how to take the helm, hoist the sails or climb the rigging, enjoy Freshly baked scones and cream tea from our galley (ship’s kitchen), have a lunchtime swim and island stopover in sheltered bay, delicious BBQ lunch served on board, share stories with our friendly crew.
- Respect the environment - You will be out in nature for this experience so please help protect our environment by taking all your rubbish with you.
- Be sun smart - Make sure you bring sunblock to protect yourself from the Kiwi sun (even on cloudy days!)
- Make new friends - This is a group experience so go along prepared to start conversations and make some new friends :-)
- Please and thank you - A friendly reminder to use ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ lots for all the people who will be helping you during this experience.
- A chance to relax - This experience is one way Kiwis like to relax and enjoy life so it will seem very relaxed. Have fun, enjoy slowing down (away from work or study) and relax!
- Hello and goodbye in Māori - If you want to start practising some basic Māori phrases, you could try using ‘Kia ora’ (hello) and ‘Ka kite’ (goodbye).
- Outdoor eating - You can expect to be eating in the outdoors, which means finding a spot on the ground to sit and enjoy your meal - make the most of this ‘el fresco’ experience!