Be part of history by volunteering for the Bay of Islands Vintage Railway! In the heart of Kawakawa, there are a variety of opportunities for volunteers to help on the railway track and to ensure visitors and staff enjoy a safe environment around station areas.
Full training will be given to you by current staff, and you will be matched by your skillset to a variety of jobs that need doing to keep the railway running for our present and future generations to enjoy! Carpooling or transport may be provided from Whangārei.
All you need is a positive attitude and you can contribute to a much-cherished New Zealand historical site.
- Be a great listener - Have fun and stay safe by following instructions carefully.
- Be sun smart - Make sure you bring sunblock to protect yourself from the Kiwi sun (even on cloudy days!)
- Please and thank you - A friendly reminder to use ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ lots for all the people who will be helping you during this experience.
- Be on time - While the experience will be a relaxed one, make sure you allow yourself plenty of time to arrive early so you don't keep your guides and others waiting.
- Don't be shy - Kiwis are very friendly, open people so this experience is a great opportunity to not be shy, smile lots and make some new friends.
- Hello and goodbye in Māori - If you want to start practising some basic Māori phrases, you could try using ‘Kia ora’ (hello) and ‘Ka kite’ (goodbye).