Sit around the outdoor campfire (subject to fire bans), toasting marshmallows and star gazing and cooking your own meals in our wood-fired pizza oven and barbecues. The campground is surrounded by 14 acres of native NZ bush and home to some rare birdlife including kiwi, North Island weka and pateke/brown teal duck.
Explore our Kiwi trail with a local guide. The trail is cut within acres of native bush at the rear of our Park and if you venture the trail at night you might be lucky enough to see a kiwi in the wild! By day, explore Russell’s quaint shops and restaurants, book a fishing charter from the Russell wharf or take a ferry ride across to Paihia. Bring a tent or choose from cabins, studios, baches or our lodge accommodation.
- Respect the environment - You will be out in nature for this experience so please help protect our environment by taking all your rubbish with you.
- Be a great listener - Have fun and stay safe by following instructions carefully.
- Stay safe in the outdoors - Your guides know the environment better than anyone and are there to keep you safe; listen to ALL their instructions, ALL the time.
- Be sun smart - Make sure you bring sunblock to protect yourself from the Kiwi sun (even on cloudy days!)
- A chance to relax - This experience is one way Kiwis like to relax and enjoy life so it will seem very relaxed. Have fun, enjoy slowing down (away from work or study) and relax!
- Don't be shy - Kiwis are very friendly, open people so this experience is a great opportunity to not be shy, smile lots and make some new friends.
- Hello and goodbye in Māori - If you want to start practising some basic Māori phrases, you could try using ‘Kia ora’ (hello) and ‘Ka kite’ (goodbye).