Get stuck in and learn about our New Zealand ecosystem with hands-on experience! The first Wednesday of every month is a chance for anyone of any skill level to join us on the island – the fun part is you get to enjoy the five minute boat trip over to Matakohe/Limestone from the Onerahi Jetty!
With community input, Matakohe/Limestone island has been transformed in recent years from degraded pasture to regenerating forest habitat so there are many opportunities to have a go at a wide range of tasks! Try tree releasing (clearing weeds), building artificial seabird burrows, and weed control (hand pulling, cutting and spraying weeds). There are also chances for people who enjoy building to do some of the fix-it jobs needed around the island.
With a great volunteer name like “Wednesday’s Wollies,” you will leave the day feeling like part of the community, working together to keep a great ecosystem alive and well. You will be picked up from the Onerahi jetty at 9am and will return at 2pm.
- Respect the environment - You will be out in nature for this experience so please help protect our environment by taking all your rubbish with you.
- Be sun smart - Make sure you bring sunblock to protect yourself from the Kiwi sun (even on cloudy days!)
- Wear your old clothes - This is a hands on experience where it's okay to dress casually, as your clothes may get a bit dirty while you're having fun!
- Be on time - While the experience will be a relaxed one, make sure you allow yourself plenty of time to arrive early so you don't keep your guides and others waiting.
- Don't be shy - Kiwis are very friendly, open people so this experience is a great opportunity to not be shy, smile lots and make some new friends.