A 5 hour cultural experience with a local Māori family (9am – 2pm). Includes a full traditional Māori welcome ceremony in to our home followed by morning tea with warm home-made Māori bread and locally made condiments. Learn to weave your own traditional flower from Harakeke – New Zealand Flax and sing an easy and fun Māori song.
Take an amazing tour around Whangārei city to see and experience some of our most culturally significant sights including waterfalls, Kauri trees, flora and fauna and Māori Pa sites. Using locally grown produce, you will prepare and indulge in your own hangi lunch cooked on red hot rocks and take part in a traditional farewell ceremony (9am – 2pm).
- Respect the environment - You will be out in nature for this experience so please help protect our environment by taking all your rubbish with you.
- Be a great listener - Have fun and stay safe by following instructions carefully.
- Please and thank you - A friendly reminder to use ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ lots for all the people who will be helping you during this experience.
- Turn your phone off - Make sure you don't use your phone while your guides are talking. If you need to make a call, please ask your guide/teacher first.
- Be a respectful visitor - You will be a guest during this experience, so please be respectful. Two important Māori customs are to take your shoes off indoors and avoid sitting on tables or pillows.
- Hello and goodbye in Māori - If you want to start practising some basic Māori phrases, you could try using ‘Kia ora’ (hello) and ‘Ka kite’ (goodbye).
- Permission for photos - If you are taking photos that include other people, always ask them first if they are happy for their photograph to be taken.
- Sharing kai (food) - You will be sharing food as part of this experience, so please wait until you are invited to eat. There may also be a prayer (karakia) to bless the food before it is eaten.