Our unique Cruise & Kayak package is in two parts.
In this first part, you will experience the Matakana River onboard the River Boat “Kotiti”, where the Captain will provide you with a commentary about the fascinating history and natural features of the Matakana River, as well as it’s rich bird and marine life.
The second part will be aboard your own Kayak after we have given you all the information you need to be able to create your own paddling adventure.
At the lower (Sandspit) end of the River You will transfer to our custom-built pontoon barge, where you will be able to comfortably and safely get on and off your Kayak. If you have family members or companions who do not wish to Kayak, they are welcome to travel both ways on the Riverboat.
The order in which your experience will take place will depend on the timing of your booking and the tide times on the day. At each stage, there will be crew on hand to assist and advise you. The whole experience will take approximately two hours and bookings are timed around the tide on the day.
- Respect the environment - You will be out in nature for this experience so please help protect our environment by taking all your rubbish with you.
- Stay safe in the outdoors - Your guides know the environment better than anyone and are there to keep you safe; listen to ALL their instructions, ALL the time.
- Be sun smart - Make sure you bring sunblock to protect yourself from the Kiwi sun (even on cloudy days!)
- Wear your old clothes - This is a hands on experience where it's okay to dress casually, as your clothes may get a bit dirty while you're having fun!
- A chance to relax - This experience is one way Kiwis like to relax and enjoy life so it will seem very relaxed. Have fun, enjoy slowing down (away from work or study) and relax!
- Be on time - While the experience will be a relaxed one, make sure you allow yourself plenty of time to arrive early so you don't keep your guides and others waiting.
- Don't be shy - Kiwis are very friendly, open people so this experience is a great opportunity to not be shy, smile lots and make some new friends.